Saturday, February 23, 2013

An Aunt's Advice

Don't expect people or things to complete your life or you will always be left wanting.
Instead, look to the power in you.
Find joy in setting and achieving goals; living a dignified life of forgiveness and self-realization.
By doing that, you will find infinite happiness.
                                 Love,
                                    Aunt Liz

Kady and me at Arbor Lodge in Nebraska City
(Dec 2010)

My niece Kady, in an attempt to pursue her dreams, has decided to move to Syracuse, New York to go to college.

The sensible part of me supports this move because I would never want to get in the way of her future but the selfish aunt in me wants her to live close so I can talk to her over a cup of coffee in a basement coffeehouse while an amateur guitarist sings John Denver cover songs.

Last week, I sent her a copy of one of my favorite books, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and highlighted some of my favorite Enzo quotes.

Along with the book, I sent her a card and what you see above is what I wrote in it.

I don't want to diminish the importance that I wrote it for Kady but I think it's good advice for anyone so I want to share it with you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment