Sunday, February 17, 2013

Walking Dead Party

For anyone who has not watched Walking Dead on AMC, you will not and can not imagine the excitement of the mid-season premier which aired on February 10, 2013. 

My 26 year old daughter, after spending months trying to get me to watch it, all but gave up on me. I have a vivid imagination so when I watch something scary, I have nightmares and can't sleep. It takes months to get it out of my head and I have to watch Disney movies before I go to sleep to keep the nightmares away.

I was determined not to watch the series until one day, during a birthday party for a three year old, the grandfather of the birthday boy mentioned Walking Dead to another party goer and wouldn't stop talking about it. He talked about how amazing it was and that he just, "...can't understand why I care so much about this group of zombie killers."

Seriously?!?!?! This is the kind of guy who falls alseep in the chair after a big meal. In bed by 9, cool calm cowboy type and he watches Walking Dead... I thought, "Maybe I need to give this series a chance.

The first night I tried to watch the premier episode, I got through the first 20 minutes and was so scared that I had to shut it off. I proceded to have a nightmare that people have told me should be made into a movie. I won't go into it here but it would be a funny zombie movie.

I say "zombie" loosly because you will never hear the word "zombie" in the series. They are called walkers, geeks or biters, anything but zombies.

After several episodes, I became desensitized to the whole gorey zombie thing that was so frightening to me in the first place and got into the characters and the plot. After finishing the 1st and 2nd seasons on Netlix and finding out that we were in the middle of the mid-season break, I quickly watched the first half of the season thru internet streaming. I'd formed a crush on Daryl Dixon and could not wait to find out if he would survive a one on one battle with his evil brother Merle.

I asked my daughter and her boyfriend if they wanted to come to dinner and then watch the show. I figured I'd make meatloaf and put some fake teeth and eyes in it to make it fun.  They asked if they could invite a friend so it was four for dinner.  Four turned into eight and zombie meatloaf turned into a full on zombie meal.

First I made zombie appetizers...

Zombie Fingers
(Idea Borrowed from Pinterest)

These were simple: Using pretzel rods, green colored white chocolate discs and Almond Slivers. I dragged a toothpick thru the chocolate to make the knuckles.

Prosciutto Cheese Eyeballs
(Idea Borrowed from Pinterest)

These Zombie Eyes are actually cheese balls wrapped in prociutto. I cut out a space for a sliver of Olive with pimento to slip into. I served this in a bed of Chipoltle Rojo Salsa to look like blood. This personally wasn't my favorite for taste but it did make a cool dish.

Eyeball Apple Slices


This was my favorite flavor. It was a green apple slice where I removed the seed star from the center, put a glob of strawberry glaze in the middle, dragged a toothpick to bring the glaze to the edges of the apple and then put a peeled slice of kiwi in the center. These were delicious! Great appetizer or dessert.
Deviled Egg Eyeballs
I used Garlic stuffed olives for the iris and pupil




Deviled Eggs are easy if you boil and peel them right. What I do is, put the eggs in shallow cold water, just enough to cover the eggs, and then turn on the heat. I bring the water to boil and let the eggs boil for 15 minutes then I turn off the heat and cover the pan. After 10 more minutes, I drain the water and put the eggs in a bowl of ice water. After a few minutes, I peel them and the shells come off perfectly every time. Here is my recipe for deviled eggs...
  • 12 Eggs
  • 1/4 pkg of softened cream cheese
  • 3 tbsp Mayo (not Miracle Whip)
  • 3 tsp Mustard (Dijon is best)
  • 3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • Salt to taste
Then I served the meatloaf. We never named him because I don't believe you should name your food although I have unwillingly eaten a pet rabbit before.

Zombie Meatloaf
(unappealing but incredibly delicious)

I don't know if you have a good meatloaf recipe but mine is the best I've ever used.  You are welcome to use it. Let me know what you think.

2 lbs Lean Hamburger
2 Eggs
1 1/2 C Bread Crumbs
3/4 C Ketchup
1/4 C Warm Water
1/4 C Dill Pickle Juice
1 Pkg Onion Soup Mix

Mix thoroughly in a large bowl. I like to bake it in a sprayed/preheated cast iron skillet but you can use a loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Add a thin film of Ketchup and bake another 15 minutes. Drain the grease, let sit 5 minutes and serve. You will not be disappointed.
(Gumball Eyeballs and Teeth optional)

This zombie was served with good old fashioned Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Potatoes and Brown Gravy. It was described as homestyle comfort food by one of my guests and I would have to agree.

After dinner, we watched the last episode of the Walking Dead series and then watched the new mid season premier.  We continued to eat the zombie fingers and eyeballs but I also served this yummy dessert.


Red Velvet Eyeball Cupcakes

These were simple and I cheated by using premade red velvet cupcakes. I offer no apology for this because the rest of this meal was an all day project.  My daughter helped with this tasty treat. We simply drizzled strawberry glaze over the cupcakes. I took yellow gumballs and used black and red sharpies to make them into eyeballs.  Delicious and easy.
On the healthier dessert side, I served this brain made out of a peeled and carved watermelon.
Watermelon Brains
(Idea Borrowed from Pinterest)

Thanks AMC for your incredibly entertaining series. You make it easy to host a fun party at my home. Thanks to Whitney, Thomas and his friend Brian for attending.  Thanks to Chris for inviting yourself enough times that I finally said yes. Thanks also to Travis, Jeff and Michelle for coming and sharing the evening with us. You all were a joy and I will never forget the enjoyment I felt by having you in my home.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a great menu. I would have to begin three days before dinner in order to do all of this! How fun was that!

    ReplyDelete